Saturday, September 6, 2008

Working Mothers

I applaud working mothers. I admire their devotion to, not only their careers, but to their family. It makes me so proud to live in a country where women can take front and center. I smile when I see women in leadership roles who’s confidence and power shines forth from their mere presence. When they walk into a room, you know they mean business.

I am a relatively progressive thinker when it comes to gender roles. Now understand that I am not harpooning on men. I am a man myself. Given that, I do agree that men and women can hold similar, if not the same roles. If a man wants to be a “stay-at-home-dad,” I say, more power to you brother. If a woman wants to be President or Vice President, I say, you go girl.

I was raised in a home with a working mother and father. My mother tried to be a “stay-at-home-mom,” but failed boldly. She got bored. Does this mean she didn’t care for her family? NO! My mom is the hardest working, independent, strong-willed woman I know. At five feet two inches tall, she’ll “bust you up.”

She reminds me a lot of Sarah Palin, devoted mother and Governor of Alaska and now Vice Presidential candidate. Devoted to her career as Vice President of a multi-million dollar company that her and my father started, she also cared for her family. I remember when my brother and I were young we stayed with babysitters when we were not in school. When we were old enough, if we were sick, we stayed home alone while mom and dad were working.

I believe this promoted independence and the ability to take care of ourselves at a young age. I was washing my own laundry at age 9, as was my brother. We both learned to cook at a very young age, balance a checkbook before we even had bank accounts, and both had jobs before we could drive.

So you can see my opposition to critics of the working mom. I give a big kudos to those mothers who work. I also give the same kudos to fathers who work. But I give an even bigger kudos to single mothers and fathers. There is a large amount of respect that must be given to those individuals who have no choice but to balance family and careers and have to play both mother and father but in addition play career man/woman. I give you a standing ovation!

No comments: