Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Give Me Your Eyes


I was listening to a newer song by Christian recording artist Brandon Heath titled Give Me Your Eyes. The song is amazing. Not only are the instrumentals/vocals awesome, but the message that this song conveys is one that really got me thinking.

The song speaks of God giving man His eyes to look at the world; seeing in the spirit. While this is a great spiritual lesson and challenge, I took it one step further. As I listened to the song I had a lofty revelation.

What if I were to take a step out from behind my glasses and look at the world through someone else’s eyes? What if I considered other’s more and took a hard look at the world through their perspective?

This is hard for me to do partly because I believe everyone should be like me (insert laugh). I am of course joking. I would not want everyone to be like me. But as I dig into my thoughts (which could be a scary, crazy, neurotic, disorganized, roller coaster, A.D.D.-esque journey), I began to wonder what it would be like to, as Salamanca Hiddle suggested in the book Walk Two Moons, walk two moons in someone else’s shoes. Scary to think, right?

How would the world look through a homeless person’s eyes? A prostitute or stripper? A single, low income mother? An illegal alien? The elderly? Teenagers? A college student? A CEO? A fast food worker? Mentally challenged? Unchurched? Unloved? Outcast? Abused?

The list can go on and on forever!

It’s amazing to think that if we, especially as Christians, would look at others as images of God, how much better this world would be. Now, I am not excluding myself. I stumble. I pass up opportunities to display Christ’s love. I am not always the best witness for Christ. But is anyone for that matter? No, and why? We are human just like everyone else in the world.

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Very true!! I've found that song convicting too. It's too easy to fall into the trap of, "Well, why don't they think like me?" "They should see things the way I see things." Life experiences dictate otherwise.... Thanks for the encouragement!

Emily Rose Massey said...

I JUST saw your comment to me and decided to check out your blog. I am intrigued by your writing as well.