Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Best Part of Wakin' Up


Once again I find myself gripped by the peacefulness of the country; where time seems to creep by at the pace of a leisurely walk. It must be stated, to facilitate my lack of interest in waking early in the morning, that there is something to be said about sitting with a newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee on a picturesque morning gleaming with a silent sunrise that can make a guy feel so settled, it’s almost unsettling.

My typical morning begins in my second floor condo in the suburbs of Lexington, just minutes from downtown. I wake to the sound of a high-pitched alarm on my Blackberry that can make dogs cringe with irritation. Many mornings start at 5:15am for a morning run lit by streetlights and lighted retail signs. Then my morning routine of showering, dressing, biblical read, followed up by my 20 minute dawning visit from Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira. The rush of my morning ritual seems like 5 minutes in total, when in reality its right around an hour.

Why do I never go and sit on my balcony? Why do I never take the time to relax in the morning? It seems like an oxymoron to relax when you awake in the morning. Maybe it’s my uninteresting view of other condo buildings and the neighboring small businesses and shops. Maybe it’s my lack of interest in the morning due to my “it’s a waste of time” mentality.

Whatever the reasoning behind my lack of interest, I believe it would behoove me greatly to take the time spent relaxing in the morning. I will admit it got my day off to a fascinating start. No television, no music, no computer. Just a newspaper, a cup of coffee, a porch, and a breathtaking sunrise to make me recant the Folgers slogan in that relaxation is the “best part of wakin’ up.”

No comments: